This is a really long overdue post. I was just too busy to upload this post.. Today I finally forced myself to have it done before the end of 2016. Thanks to the school holidays, my daughter helped to take videos of some of the preparation process.
250 g purple sweet potato, without skin (steamed and mashed)
150 g glutinous rice flour
1/2 white grated coconut (I bought S$1 from market and is more than enough for this recipe).
A pinch of salt
3/4 bowl about 250 g of chopped pure gula melaka or palm sugar
1) Steam the white grated coconut with salt for 5 - 7 minutes (toss before you steam). I find that by steaming it together with pandan leaves, the coconut comes out more fragrant.
2) In a large mixing bowl, place glutinous rice flour and purple sweet potato. Knead well till it forms smooth pliable dough. (If the dough is too dry, add a little water; or if it is too wet, add a little flour).
3) Pinch a small amount of dough (about the size of a calamansi lime) and roll it in your palm to form a smooth ball. Make a small well in the centre of the dough and fill it with chopped palm sugar. Pinch dough to seal, roll into ball again. I strongly suggest to make only 5 or 6 balls at a time and boil them (refer to step 4) as soon as possible because if you leave the balls stand too long, the dough will crack and the gula melaka will start to leak.
4) In a pot of boiling water, drop the balls in and and when the balls float, remove them with a slotted spoon and allow the excess water to drip off.
5) Drop the balls onto the grated coconut and gently coat them evenly, then transfer to a plate . Serve along with a cup of hot tea or coffee. Enjoy.